It is hard to pinpoint when HUHA started – mostly because it started in the heart of Carolyn Press McKenzie. But certainly, there was a time when it was a few animals in and around a caravan in a rented field.
Now HUHA has four shelters, three physical shops and an online shop. As well as the shelter and shop teams, it has an administration team, a rescue team and an emergency response team. It is a nationwide response for animals and the people that care about them – rescue, advice and advocacy.
HUHA has always relied on a small army of volunteers, people committed to the kaupapa of HUHA and support the work. There are also paid positions within HUHA and when one of these is available, we will shout out on our facebook page and provide a link to the position and job description here. So keep an eye out – you may be who we’re looking for.
SHIFT LEADER POSITION – OTAKI SHELTER
20–30 hours per week with a flexibly to cover shifts if needed. You must be able to move with us to the Hayward’s Hill Shelter.
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR IN AN APPLICANT:
- Compassion and empathy for dogs/ all animals.
- Dog handling experience
- A desire to create and implement a safe, loving, enriched environment for the HUHA dogs in our care
- Be animal welfare focused
- Be physically and mentally fit.
- Be able to work as part of a team.
- Be able to work with and lead a team of volunteers
- Have excellent customer service skills
- Be able to follow direction as well as self-manage/sole charge
- Be available to work weekend hours as part of a roster
- Be comfortable in a fast paced, busy environment and an ability to think on your feet.
- Have a sense of humour!
Please send your cover letter and CV through to email@example.com